(Image via Miki Sato)
So I'm guessing that approximately 50% of us have already failed or given up on a resolution made in the sweep of the new year. Two weeks. Are you one of them? I have to say, my goals are actually, surprisingly, going quite well so far! (Cheers to setting measurable, small, do-able goals this year!!)
But that's not to say that
disappointments haven't slipped in. I'm not the superhuman awesome-being I wanted to be. Yet. There are things I want to do that I'm avoiding. There are failures (in among the victories, I spent
almost an entire day playing the Sims 3. Whooooops!). There are
moments where we feel like doing nothing. There are moments where
some kind of crippling fear, self-doubt, anger slips in and derails
us. And sometimes these things are enough for us to quit. Throw in the towel. Bad days happen.
Don't let that stop you. One of my
goals this year has been to learn how to meditate. Well, I'm
realizing that 'learning', for meditation, essentially means to
accept. Accept that our minds race around like a mouse on a unicycle.
Accept that we're not born Buddhist monks – it's a tricky practice
that requires effort. Accept that it's okay if we don't do it
perfectly. And we never will do it perfectly - this is a beautiful part of being human. Accept that even if we resist. Even if we miss a day, or a
week, a month, or even a year, Now is a perfect time to pick it back
up.
Let go of your judgements. For some reason, a lot of us have an 'all or nothing' attitude. If I can't do this goal perfectly, every day, I've failed. Don't do that. Accept that there will be days where stuff simply will. not. happen. It's natural, it's normal, and it's necessary. When you're through, when that moment has passed, simply continue doing all the awesome things you want to.
I know there's something you know you should and want to do. Find that thing for me. It's probably tucked away in the back of your closet or mind, covered in dust and neglected. Or maybe it's right beside you, but you don't want to pick it up again. Whatever and wherever it is. Try it again today. Use it again today.
I know there's something you know you should and want to do. Find that thing for me. It's probably tucked away in the back of your closet or mind, covered in dust and neglected. Or maybe it's right beside you, but you don't want to pick it up again. Whatever and wherever it is. Try it again today. Use it again today.
Today, right now, is a new time. Every
second that ticks by is a chance for you to try. Don't wait for the
'right' time to come. Don't cast it off as a lost cause. Let go of your past mistakes, failures, and move forward. The new year is not a time to get burdened by failures. Not at all. Get back up,
pick it up, and try again. I believe in you. If nothing else, do it
for me, so you can tell me about it in the comments. :) I'd love to
hear how your goals, resolutions (or lack thereof), and adventures in
2013 have been going.
3 comments:
Found you via the better blogger network :) If I let myself play the Sims 3, nothing else gets done! I only let myself play when I have finished everything else (or nearly everything) that I wanted to get done.
Thanks for this insightful post. I've managed to stick to my new years resolution which was to eat healthier and exercise more (probably the same as everyone) well I got myself a workout buddy and we can't let each other down so that helps! I have some business related resolutions that I haven't got around to yet, but there is still time :) Great blog and you have a new follower!
carlydawson.blogspot.co.uk
Very inspiring! I think that's the secret, there will always be small setbacks but it's how you handle them and move forward with the victories that counts!
xo
girlintheyellowdress.com
Post a Comment